Tuesday 12 August 2014

Journeyman League - Week 1

Last night was the first night of the journeyman league and had a pretty great turn out with around 19 people coming to game, which was good to see a healthy warmachine community in the area. I'd managed to get around 13 preleague hobby points by getting a few units painted up in the weeks before gaming started. I was one of the first to arrive and so I managed to get three full games in before having to leave for the night. 

Contrary to my previous post I made a last minute switch on my battle group: as I decided I wanted to try something new I bought and painted pFeora a few days before the league started fully. My revised battle box is a variation on the alternative offered in the Privateer Press league document (the EO allowed players to customise within his guidelines):

pFeora +6
Vanquisher -6
Dervish -4
Repenter -4

This was a bit of a weird choice as technically I had another 2 points to spend if I wanted them and could have upped the Dervish to a Crusader, but I decided I'd prefer those 2 points for support solos once we up to 15 points.

My first game of the night was against a small Mercenaries group led by pMagnus with a Mangler and a Mule. My opponent opened the game by scrapping the Repenter. I did middling damage to the Mangler with a Vanquisher shot before taking the brunt of a revenge charge from the jack with my heavy. After some poor dice rolls on my opponents side I managed to come out of it with 4 boxes left which included my last cortex box and my melee weapon arm leaving me in a reasonable position to retaliate. Between an ignited Dervish charge and Feora advancing into combat with EoD I took down the Mangler in one turn. Destroying the jack left my caster in a direct line to his Mule so he threw Iron Agression on the jack and charged with full focus and boosted melee attacks. All but one attack missed and that did negligible damage leaving his only jack in melee with Feora, the Vanquisher and the Dervish, and was quickly scrapped. As we were playing Mangled Metal this netted me my first win. 

My second game was against a really friendly player who had brought Legion, with pThags leading a Shredder, Raek and a Ravagore. From the opening of the game my opponent played conservatively, keeping his stuff safe in a forest outside his deployment (he was a bit bummed my caster was immune to fire and therefore all his ranged). I managed to clip the Raek with an AOE to set it on fire but not much else for the first couple of turns. After that the Shredder and Raek charged my exposed Repenter and dealt a heap of damage but didn't destroy the light and left the Raek exposed to a charge in the side by my Dervish, who failed to kill but critically wounded it, leaving the Repenter to finish the job. I finished my turn managing to scatter an AOE onto my own Dervish, setting it on fire. On his turn the shredder was full on fury but managed to pass its threshold check (to his dismay as he wanted the boosts), which turned out to be unnecessary as he scrapped the Repenter regardless. Later in his turn he feated to bring the Raek back but positioned it poorly and so couldn't get his turn off properly, instead repositioning to get a better advantage for next turn. My turn I smacked the Raek about with the Dervish but didn't do anything significant. Following the devastating damage pFeora did last game I was a bit cocky and charged her up to finish off the Shredder instead of using the more sensible flamethrower option, ending on a feat to set pThags on fire (everything else already was). The Raek moved up and leaped over the Dervish into combat with Feora only doing slight damage but opening the charge lane for Thags who annihilated her with boosted attacks netting him the win. 

My final game was against Trolls, who are probably one of the factions I know the least. The list he played was pMadrak, an Impaler, a Pyre troll and an Axer. Much to everyone's amusement the Pyre troll's animus meant that he could get all of his army immunity: fire effectively nullifying most of my army. Despite being effectively immune to most of my attacks he played a really defensive game from the outset, deploying his whole army in one corner and hugging it all game. I moved up cautiously to avoid counter charges that never really came. I wasn't very confident about the outcome thanks to the animus so I just kept moving up the board. I had Hex Hammer up all game which meant I was chipping away at the caster every time he cast anything;  leaving him overly concerned about casting. A few turns in my Repenter was lined up with Feora and he moved his Impaler up trying to crit and knock the light into my caster but didn't get it. This left him exposed and out of animus range so I took full advantage and poured 3 flamethrowers on it to get the kill. This seemed to spur him on and the rest of his army charged my Vanquisher and scrapped it. This wasn't too devastating as immune to fire had left it doing nothing all game anyway. I threw on EoD and advanced into combat with Madrak who he'd exposed to finish off the Vanquisher. I only did an average amount of damage and was pretty exposed for the following turn. He dropped all his defensive buffs and went for the caster kill, advancing into combat with the Axer but falling just short with the pyre troll after realising it didn't have reach. He poured all his fury into attacks and boosts and when the smoke cleared Feora had three boxes left and Madrak was sat on no fury for transfers so I had no trouble finishing him off for my second win. 

Overall I finished on two wins and a loss which I'm pretty pleased with since I wasn't especially confident heading into the night. Plus it netted me an extra 8 league points. It was great to meet some of the guys and get to play against a variety of lists. It was a fun time, so I'm looking forward to giving it another go next week, and I'll keep everyone posted how it goes!

-M


No comments:

Post a Comment