Tuesday 8 September 2015

Mitsuharu on Bat Reps - Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight vs Captain Phinneus Shae

Hi all, and welcome to the latest installation of my battle reports. It's been a little while since my last one since my LGS was being renovated and expanded last week and there was no gaming! As of next week my local community (including me) will be participating in a Journeyman League. Since, for the next few weeks, I'm going to be locked into low point games I decided to have a big blowout fun 50 point game! In this spirit I got my Archangel painted up and built a list for it with pThags:

Thagrosh +5
-Succubus -2
-Archangel - 20
-Carnivean -11
-Naga -5
-Shredder -2
Shepherd -1
Shepherd -1
Max Spawning Vessel -3
Max Legionnaires -6
Deathstalker -2
Deathstalker -2
Objective - Fuel Cashe

I thought this would be a fun list. With the animuses available in this list and the Succubus and Thagrosh's free casting each turn I feel it can get some cool stuff on the board. Plus with the Archangel and Carnivean getting to ARM 20 with Spiney Growth they're hard to shift!

Pregame

The game I had this week was with Will, which usually means a fun, solid game. He decided to use some of the models that he hadn't tried out before, ending up going for a Tier 4 Pirate's Life Shae Tier List. This was made up of a pair of Nomads and a Vanguard in the battlegroup then two units of Press Gangers, a unit of Sea Dogs, the Commodore Cannon, and the full raft of pirate Solos. A pretty standard Shae list. The Scenario we rolled out was Two Fronts and Will won the roll to go first, taking the first turn. 

Deployment 

I placed the Archangel just off centre, closer to my zone. The Pirates then deployed their solos and battlegroup centrally. I put most of my battlegroup either central or to my left with the pot and the Legionnaires to my right to jam his zone. The Sea Dogs then deployed centrally with a unit of Press Gangers on either flank. I put my Deathstalkers in front of the pot. 


Pirates Turn One

Will opened the game by having all the Pirates run up the board, taking full advantage of the free run and pathfinder from the tier. This set the line of battle pretty far forward for my turn. Shae put Phantasm on himself to keep safe. 

Talion: 0 Legion: 0


Legion Turn One

On my turn I had the Legionnaires run towards the zone in roughly two lines. The Deathstalkers took pot shots at the Pirates but they got tough with No Sleeping on the Job so achieved nothing. The pot shuffled up. Thagrosh put out Spiney Growth on the Archangel for free and then cast Draconic Blessing on it and put Fog of War on himself, before charging to end up behind a wall. The Carnivean and Naga ran to get into better positions. The Archangel flew up to toe in on the zone and took a couple of shots at the press gangers with its strafe but it didn't do a whole lot. The Succubus put Spiney Growth on the Archangel and the Shredder put Tenacity on Thagrosh. 

Talion: 0 Legion: 0


Pirates Turn Two

Will started the turn by having Shae upkeep Phantasm and allocated two to a Nomad. Shae went first and cast Coup de Main and then feated, allowing everyone to shuffle forwards, before nudging himself back. He then had Rockbottom give the Press Gangers in his own zone boosted attacks and the Sea Dogs got Tough. Will then had the Press Gangers charge the Legionnaires after Holt shot a couple of them to soften them up. Thanks to hang they managed to kill the whole front row, but only one was in range to Shanghai anyone. On the other flank the Press Gangers moved across my zone and around the hill, generally jamming and being in the way. The Sea Dogs activated and charged using Wall's mini feat to get fearless, spreading themselves out but getting 3 on the Carnivean and two on Thagrosh. The two on Thags got some damage on him but not enough to be worth transferring. The three on the Carnivean couldn't break his high ARM. The Nomad then activated, using the free Coup De Main charge to get into the Carnivean, seriously beating it but not managing to take out any aspects. The various Solos got their respective auras into position for next turn. We realised at the end of the turn that Shae had used his feat to move just into position to net me an extra 2 control points from Kill Box. 

Talion: 0 Legion: 2


Legion Turn Two

I started my turn by upkeeping Draconic Blessings for free and dropping Fog of War. My remaining Legionnaires took their Vengence, killing a couple of the Press Gangers. I started my turn by having Thagrosh thwack the two offending Sea Dogs who'd got to him last turn, putting out a couple of clouds. The pot dropped a harrier and advanced up and the Legionnaires moved deeper into the press Gangers. Between them they caused a huge number of tough checks but they passed all of them with no Knockdown thanks to Grogspar. The Harrier, Shredder and a Deathstalker took attacks on the rear Sea Dog engaging the Carnivean, since I was afraid of taking a free strike when I moved to engage the Nomad. But he survived everything I threw at him! Luckily when the Carnivean did move up he was ok and managed to scrap the Merc Heavy and have enough left over to pop animus onto the Archangel. The Archangel then went and took some shots, managing to kill Dirty Meg, a Sea Dog and put some damage onto Grogspar before using his animus to light up the engaging Press Gangers. The Naga engaged a Sea Dog but failed to hit it with its bite attack. 

Talion: 0 Legion: 2


Pirates Turn Three

On Will's turn he had the various Pirate infantry jam further into my army, targeting everything he could at the Carnivean but failing to kill it. The second Nomad charged in to avenge its brother, hoping to finish off the heavy beast but had terrible dice rolls leaving it with a couple of boxes remaining. The Commodore took a shot on Thagrosh but missed, accidentally hitting Walls instead, splatting him. Shae managed to get his toe on the friendly zone to secure a friendly domination point. Three of the press Gangers took attacks on the objective, doing minimal damage and setting themselves on fire. 

Talion: 1 Legion: 2


Legion Turn Three

On my Turn three the Archangel completely failed to hit any of the press Gangers in Melee thanks to crappy dice, using its animus to set them on fire instead. The healed up Carnivean was able to scrap the second Nomad. The pot dropped out a Harrier that flew in to kill Holt, using sprint to get up and contest the zone while the other harrier advanced into the zone too, taking a free strike from the Vanguard that left it on one box. One Deathstalker advanced away from Melee to take shots but got killed by a lucky free strike doing exactly enough damage to kill him. Thagrosh used his Spray to kill the Doctor, removing the 4+ tough bubble. 

Talion: 1 Legion: 2


Pirates Turn Four

On Will's turn, determined to finish off the Carnivean finally, he allocated a bunch of focus to the Vanguard. Between that and the remaining Sea Dogs they finally managed to clear it off the board. The remaining infantry continued to jam into me, locking me out of the zone. The last couple of attacks finally destroyed my objective too, netting Will another point. The Devil's Shadow Mutineers managed to kill both of the contesting Harriers freeing up the zone. 

Talion: 3 Legion: 2


Legion Turn Four

On my turn I had the Archangel consume one of the Press Gangers and move up further into the zone, using its animus to set all of the Pirates on fire. The Naga killed a Sea Dog to free up a space for Thagrosh to feat back the Carnivean, placing it between him and the Vanguard.  The pot spawned another harrier who flew in to contest the zone, denying the extra point for Will. Leaving him with very few models not on fire. 

Talion: 3 Legion: 2


After game 

This game was a bit of a grind and Will was unfamiliar with his rules, meaning he needed to double check the cards a lot. So by this point the store was closing and Will forfeited, since he felt I was in a much stronger position than him and would shortly be able to fully jam his zone  and pick him to pieces. I really enjoyed this game and it was fun to play some Pirates. I liked having the Archangel on the table and it was a good piece in this list. I'll definitely look at using it again in the future. 

Tune in next week for the opening of the Journeyman League to see what I've decided to go for and how the opening games went!

As always thanks for reading, and don't forget to check out the Facebook page and 'like' for regular post updates, photos and more at www.facebook.com/Mitsuharuonminis 

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment