Sunday 7 December 2014

Tourney Tales - Journeyman League 35 point Tournament

Following the Journeyman league recently my local gaming group decided to run a Tournanent for the participants. Two 35 point lists, divide and conquer with one list using one of the casters and the battle group from the league. I played a number of practice games using a pSevvy list, but on deciding I was lacking a good answer to a heavy armour list I swapped this at the last minute for a variation on my eReznik list from my last tournament, which ended up with two lists:

eFeora +6
-Vanquisher -8
-Dervish -4
-Repenter -4
Vassal -2
Wrack -2
Nicia -3
Carvolo -2
Paladin -2
Min Choir -2
Daughters -5
Max TFG with UA -8

eReznik +4
-Devout -5
Avatar -11
Vassal -2
Wracks -1
Mechanic -1
eEiryss -3
Min Choir -2
Max Bastions -8
Min Zealots with UA -6

After the random pairings I was placed against one of the most experienced players in the tournament, Nick, whose legion I played frequently during the league. He chose a list of Thagrosh, accompanied by a Carnivean and a Scythean, with a max unit of Warspears and UA along with two Deathstalkers and a shepherd. His other list was a beast heavy Saeryn list and I knew that my melee heavy Reznik list would be shut down by her feat and so I elected to take my Feora list. The scenario we were playing was close quarters and I deployed with a mind to protecting my own flag. I made a number of mistakes throughout the game that an experienced player like Nick was more than capable of taking advantage of. After the initial movements in turn two my Daughters (the Warspears' prey) were wiped out to a single model, who I should have run away to the far edge of the board to deny him the prey but who I instead threw away to tie up a Deathstalker. My Vanquisher took a couple of punishing shots at the Scythean but failed to destroy it. The counter charge from the heavy beast similarly hurt my jack and the two slapped at each other for the rest of the majority of the game. The middle part of the game was mainly me jamming my own flag (and making a ridiculous number of tough checks) and putting some wounds onto the enemy army. Nick was punishing me throughout the game but his clock was running low and I had plenty of time. I made another stupid mistake and charged my paladin into Thagrosh instead of jamming the flag and wasting his clock. This allowed him to kill off the paladin and move into dominate his own flag. I had nothing on his side to contest and so I charged Feora across the table to try for a risky assassination but came up half an inch short. She managed to survive the retaliation but couldn't put Thagrosh away the next turn with almost full fury and so I lost to scenario, with less than a minute on Nick's clock. 

My second game was against a Cryx player who hadn't had a lot of time to practice with his lists and so made a few critical mistakes and oversights. I chose to go for Feora again as both of his lists were fast an infantry based and pretty dangerous for Reznik. This left me locked into Reznik for my next game but I was hoping for a better match up. He took pDenny with a max unit of Bloodgorgers and Slaughterborn, and a max unit of blood witches, alongside a pistol wraith and skarlock. Denny was accompanied by a Slayer and three chickens. 

He took the first turn and, as we were playing Outflank he moved strongly into the zone with the bloodgorgers on one side and ran across the board into B2B with the TFG with the witches, which meant he was unable to use the mini feat and basically fed them to the guards who promptly killed all but one of the unit. Meanwhile the Vanquisher splashed the bloodgorgers killing 5 of them with a single shot as they were bunched together. The daughters then killed the last few and engaged Slaughterborn. This basically crippled his army but I hadn't been able to move anything into the zone to my right and so he controlled it for a point. Taking advantage of my mistake he moved in his caster and feated, dominating for a further two points. Gerlak took a swing at a daughter but missed, derailing his slaughter. On my turn I moved a trio of TFG into the zone to contest and save the game, along with Nicia and a Repenter. The Repenter took a shot at a bone chicken, missing but boosting the shot on Denny who was stood behind it, dealing little damage but setting her on fire. The daughters combined melee'd Gerlak to death and the paladin moved into melee with the pistol wraith but stayed in stance. Next turn he spent all his resources to clear the zone but couldn't quite manage it. The pistol wraith ate a free strike trying to kill the last choir member and died. He'd left Denny exposed trying to kill Nicia and finished on no focus, and so the Vanquisher moved up and squished her in short order, netting me a win and basically tabling him and scoring two control points to boot. 

In the final round I played against a Circle army which was a terrible match up for my list locked eReznik army. He chose to use eMorvanna. I started strongly, wiping out his Wolves of Orboros and Skinwalkers with the feat but I was forced to expose Reznik. He then used shifting stones to move a Stalker into Reznik and promptly ripped him apart. 

I ended the tournament with the highest Strength of Schedule and was the highest scoring single game winner, placing me near the bottom of the middle of the listings. Overall it was a fun day and I regret not taking the pSevvy list I had been playing with in practice games but I did enjoy blowing up a swathe of Druids with Reznik's feat. My local club is deciding to run a similar tournament each month and I'm looking forward to playing some more tournaments in coming months and writing them up for you to read!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment