Sunday 14 September 2014

Sword<Pen<Brush - On 'Finishing'

Almost exactly a year ago I started into Warmachine. I've been a hobbyist for my entire adult life but had mainly stuck to GW related products like Warhammer (Tomb Kings, Skaven, Beastmen) 40k (Chaos Space Marines, Orks, Tau) and even Bloodbowl briefly (Dwarves). But for the last year it's been Menoth. And now I'm done. I wrote myself a veritable shopping list of goodies and I've bought, assembled and painted all of them (including a few I hadn't intended to!). In fact I've got almost the full range. Today I finished my final model. 

But that's exactly what I wanted to talk about. 'Finishing' isn't something hobbists do well. We're a 'one more model' hobby. And that's one of the best and worst things about the life. I am finished and I can say that with pride. I've done what I set out to and more. And I've got all the models to prove it. But there's always something else. Sure I'm moving on to Legion in a couple of weeks and I'm excited for that. But I don't think I'll ever really be 'done'. Even if it's not moving on to another project there's always that one more model. And isn't that awesome? Sure you can never truly say you've finished an army but on the other hand you also never have to stop doing something you love. That's a great thing and it's why this hobby can be so absorbing. Why you can lose yourself in it so much. 

But for now I can move on to another project satisfied that my Menoth is 'finished'. 


For now....

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment